Tufte (2003) famously said "Power corrupts; PowerPoint corrupts absolutely." I find myself among these critics who feel that PowerPoint can ruin an educational experience. Our textbook mentions that many people believe PowerPoint "makes people focus on the slides, rather than the message." I have absolutely found this to be true.
Though the theory of using PowerPoint in education is valid and having information presented visually while a teacher is discussing does have advantages for students to see and hear information, I often find that, as a student, I have to choose whether to listen to the teacher or read the slides. This is not a choice that students should have to make. The slides and the teacher's presentation should support each other, giving students the opportunity to process the message of the lesson, instead of feeling the need to choose: slides or teacher?
A teacher should be very careful when deciding what to put in a PowerPoint presentation. It should support his/her lesson and message without distracting students from valuable engagement with the teacher and classroom discussion. I have rarely seen this done well, but appreciate so much when a teacher understands how PowerPoint can truly enhance a classroom experience instead of detract.
No comments:
Post a Comment